Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Aspirin and Pregnancy

I have not been on here for a bit as John went away.... Man it was tough being a solo parent for a week. It was not so hard looking after Molly but doing the other bits; the tiding, the dishes oh how they were so tiring.

We went to see the obstetrician yesterday and he was nice. I was very much surprised as I had thought that he would be terrible. Since we live in a small rural town there is not a lot of options and so we just get what we are given... or we travel a long way to get to a metro town. Which is fine if you have family but not so good if you do not have family in the metro town which we do not.
Anyway back to the dr. He suggested that I go on aspirin. This is not something that is new as the dr who got Molly out thought that I should go on it too when we get pregnant again. From what I can gather it has something to do with the placenta and the aspirin somehow makes it better when you are predisposed or at high risk of getting pre-eclampsia or in my case HELLP. I am not really that keen to take as I really don't want to take a drug during my pregnancy even if it is at a low dose.

But then I wonder how will I feel if I do not take it and something happens?? Would I beat myself up? I am sure that there would be that going on as lets face it, I had that going on when Molly was born; the constant wonderings if I could have done something different would the outcome have been different. There is no guarantee about what is going to happen either way. I might or might not have another prem child regardless of what I do. I have no control over that. But for my sanity maybe I need to take this to give myself the peace that I have done everything that I could to make sure that the baby went term.

Basically it boils down to that I am a hippy that does not like taking medicine. I pop a few panadol every now and again but that is about as hard as it gets. If I can take a natural approach then I do.
So there is my dilemma; if I take the medicine then I am not really following the natural path. I like to be able to use the best of both worlds, natural and medical, and be sceptical about all (well manly more about the medical model).
At the moment that I have either sides in my shoulders (just like a conscience) and it seems that my friends and family are mirroring this. Some are really for the medical model and are saying that I should definitely take and should be having weekly scans whilst others are saying that I should not take and should look into natural options. I am sure that I am going to annoy one side of my conscience as I am going to have to make a decision either way about this. I am just going to have to make up my mind and how other people react to that decision is their choice. I think that I will probably end up taking it.

Oh the joys of having a high risk pregnancy. It is not easy at all!!!!!!

So hats off to solo parents and parents in the neonate unit. Hang in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment